So, what are limiting beliefs? They are any belief you have that hinders your ability to reach your goals and they are very powerful. Most limiting beliefs stem from our childhood or past experiences we’ve been through. The way we were raised also plays a rule in limiting beliefs & most of them are deeply rooted. This makes them hard to find especially because we believe them to be true and we have lived with them for so long. I look at it as an invisible barrier that literally stops you from achieving what you want in life. Limiting beliefs are NOT true, because each and every single one of us are able to achieve anything we want in life, we just have to BELIEVE we can.
Limiting beliefs can be about money, relationships, career choices, etc. Stop and think about it, a lot of people have what you believe you can’t have. So why can they have it but you can’t? Really think about that! Why can you not have what you want? Because your limiting beliefs are stopping you!
Alright let’s dive right in!!! So how do we find our limiting beliefs? Let’s start with some examples:
1. I will never find the right person for me because I am not pretty enough.
2. I will never have my dream job because I am not smart enough.
3. I am too old to change career paths.
4. I don’t deserve to be happy.
Now that you’ve seen some examples, let’s talk about how to find them.
1. Challenge Yourself
· Do something you normally wouldn’t do like go ask someone on a date at the bar or quit that job you just don’t like. Do any thoughts or fears come into your head as to why you shouldn’t go ask them or why you shouldn’t quit your job? If you are not happy with that job but you keep telling yourself you won’t find anything better, that’s you limiting belief!
· Write down everything. Your goals, passions, thoughts, feelings, everything! What do you REALLY want out of life? What do you want 5 years? 10? Do you want to start a business? Start a blog? Change jobs? Go to college? Write down everything, even if your goals seem too big to reach right now.
3. Realize What You Are Justifying
· If you are justifying why you can’t have something, that is your limiting belief. If there is something you TRULY want in life, but you are always justifying why you can’t have it, your thoughts are stemming from you limiting beliefs. If your heart is telling you to do it, just do it!!! Listen to your heart, not your limiting beliefs.
HOW DO WE CHANGE THEM?
1. Become Aware Of Them
· For a week straight, I want you to carry around a notebook and write down ANY limiting belief that pops into your head. It doesn’t matter what the subject is about. If you find yourself doubting or questioning anything, write it down.
2. Figure Out What and Why
· Why are you having these beliefs? What is stemming them? Dig deep!!! Figure out where in you life you started to believe this. Was it your childhood? Something traumatic that happened? Something your friends/family led you to believe?
3. Rewrite Them
· That list I told you to make in step 1? I want you to rewrite every single one of your limiting beliefs into a positive one. Try using affirmations. I will never find the right person for me because I am not pretty enough becomes I am worthy of love because I am gorgeous and perfect just the way I am. Find a way to truly believe that you can achieve anything you want.
Limiting beliefs are hard and can take some time to get rid of but if you take the time to truly understand what has led you to believe you can’t achieve something, you will be so much happier and in-tune with yourself. Remember, as cliche as it sounds, life is what you make it and your mindset is so important!
If you enjoyed this make sure you subscribe!! ♡